Uterine Fibroid Embolization in Oklahoma City
Uterine fibroid embolization is a minimally invasive procedure, often performed as an alternative to myomectomy or hysterectomy. Dr. Blake Parsons specializes in UFE to treat uterine fibroids. Call us at (405) 241-3538 and schedule your UFE consultation.
What is Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE)?
Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) is a less invasive procedure for the treatment of uterine fibroids.
The process typically lasts less than an hour and requires only a small incision into the femoral artery. The procedure is designed to block the blood supply to the uterine fibroids, causing them to shrink. As one of the alternatives to hysterectomy procedures, UFE is clinically proven to reduce the major symptoms of uterine fibroids.
- Preservation of the uterus
- Decrease in heavy menstrual bleeding from symptomatic fibroids
- Decrease in urinary dysfunction
- Decrease in pelvic pain and/or pressure
- Virtually no blood loss
- Covered by most insurance companies
- This procedure lasts approximately 60-90 minutes. Patients go home 4 hours after the procedure.
- UFE offers no hospital stay, a faster return to work, and fewer complications after 30 days when compared to having a hysterectomy.1
- Reduced worry about bleeding through clothing
- Significant improvement in patient’s physical and emotional well-being
Overall, UFE is a safe procedure and is a treatment for uterine fibroids that involves minimal risk. 90% of all women were satisfied or very satisfied at final follow up.2
(As with any medical procedure, discuss all risks and complications with your physician)
- Non-target embolization
- Transient amenorrhea (absence of a women’s menstrual period)
- Common short-term allergic reaction/rash
- Vaginal discharge/infection
- Possible fibroid passage
- Post-embolization syndrome (post-procedure pain, fever, tiredness, and elevated white blood cell count)
- Premature menopause
Find out if you are a candidate for uterine fibroid embolization.
Take some time to understand the UFE treatment procedure before you make your decision on your fibroid treatment option. Learn what to expect before, during and after the UFE treatement.
- Spies J et al. Outcome of uterine embolization and hysterectomy for leiomyomas: results of a multicenter study. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2004;191: 22-31.
- Lohle, P. et al. Long term outcome of uterine artery embolization for symptomatic uterine leiomyomas. JVIR 2008; 19:319-326
© 2023 Merit Medical Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.